Hours passed before her phone rang again. The caller ID displayed "Zhou Zhe."

Hesitating, Qiao Li answered.

“Hello?”

Zhou Zhe’s voice was laced with urgency. “Qiao Li? What’s going on? I was in a client meeting. Just turned my phone back on and saw your mother called me a dozen times. I tried calling her back, but she’s not answering.”

Qiao Li sighed inwardly. “I told her we broke up.”

Silence hung heavy on the line.

“I’m sorry. I’ll tell her not to bother you,” she said wearily.

Zhou Zhe seemed to want to say something but stopped himself, a hint of bitterness in his voice. “No need to apologize.” He moved to a quieter spot. “You sound tired. Are you busy with work?”

This conversation felt like a throwback to their early years, struggling to establish their careers. Qiao Li felt a pang of discomfort. “Yes,” she replied shortly.

Zhou Zhe also sensed the shift in their dynamic. He awkwardly changed the subject. “Yeah, everyone’s busy at the end of the year.” He attempted a joke to ease the tension. “You really shouldn’t have chosen this time to tell her. Talk about asking for trouble.”

He paused, then something clicked. He hurried to his desk, flipped through his calendar, and sounded surprised. “Today’s your birthday?”

“Yes.”

Birthdays weren't a big deal for them anymore. They hadn’t celebrated properly in years. Birthdays were just another day filled with work and responsibilities, devoid of the childhood anticipation of cake and presents.

Still, being berated on her birthday was something else. Zhou Zhe offered a comforting word. “Don’t worry about it. Focus on your work. I’ll talk to your mother. Don’t worry.”

Qiao Li didn't refuse. “Okay, thanks.”

Hanging up, she returned to work, finally finishing everything at nine. A wave of relief washed over her. She stretched, feeling a burst of youthful energy, almost wanting to jump up and shout.

The feeling lasted barely a minute before being extinguished by a downpour.

She hadn't brought an umbrella to the office. The short dash to the parking garage left her drenched. Driving back to her apartment, the brief walk from her car soaked her again.

After a hot shower, she noticed a missed call from her father.

He was calling to apologize for her mother.

“Your mother’s going through menopause. She’s always had a temper, but she’s got a good heart deep down. Please understand. We know how hard you work in Z City. You’ve always been so capable, never given us cause for worry. But we still worry, you know? You’re our daughter. We can’t help but worry about your relationships and your future.”

It was always like this.

Toweling her hair dry, she said, “Dad, I can take care of myself.”

“Yes, I know.” He sighed. “We grew up in a different time. We don’t understand how young people think. Take your friend, Yu Yan. Divorced, moved to the big city. Her parents are constantly dealing with gossip from relatives and colleagues. They’re terrified every time they hear stories about single women in the city. Your mother feels the same way.”

She could only repeat her reassurance. “You’re overthinking it. I’m perfectly fine on my own.”

Her father continued to ramble. “Last night, we had dinner with the family. Your third aunt had too much to drink and started saying how you and Zhou Zhe were together for seven years without getting married. She said he was probably just playing with you, that he’d dump you when you’re no longer young. Your mother nearly ripped her hair out. She cares about you, it’s just… she expresses it in a rather extreme way.”

Qiao Li didn’t know how to respond. Softly, she said, “Dad, I’m really tired. I want to sleep.”

“Oh, okay, okay. You get some rest. Your mother and I know you’re the best. You’ve never disappointed us. Don't be angry. Alright, alright, go to sleep. I’ll hang up now.”

The call ended. Qiao Li tossed her phone onto the sofa and covered her eyes.

After a few moments, she got up to dry her hair.

Just as she finished, her phone rang again. She was about to lose it. Why were so many people contacting her today?

She picked up. It was Feng Yi. He started talking the moment she answered. “Hello, Miss Qiao. The gift your boyfriend sent you has arrived at your door. Please open up to receive it.”

Qiao Li was completely bewildered. She went to the door and peered through the peephole. Nothing.

“There’s no one here,” she said.

“Oh, I told the delivery guy to just leave it and go. It’s dangerous for a woman living alone to open the door for deliveries.”

Qiao Li frowned, confused. Could you refuse a delivery?

She opened the door. Still nothing. As she was about to close it, a figure leaped down the stairs.

“Ta-da! Presenting your gift!”

Feng Yi, clad in an oversized raincoat, jumped down. His backpack bulged beneath the raincoat, making him look like some strange, hunchbacked figure. One arm was out of the sleeve, the empty raincoat sleeve dangling comically.

He struck a playful pose, twirling around, the loose sleeve flapping wildly. “Miss Qiao, how about me as a birthday present? Are you satisfied?”


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments