But at this moment, nestled in Feng Yi's arms, she didn't want to analyze the likelihood of his words being false. She didn't want to force herself to awaken her rational, strong self. She didn't want to dwell on today or the future.
She just wanted to openly, peacefully, enjoy her own vulnerability in his embrace.
After New Year's Day, Feng Yi returned to school to face exam week. Qiao Li was also frantically working overtime to finish her year-end tasks. Both were so busy they barely had time to talk.
Qiao Li’s boss returned from China after Christmas and immediately started hounding her for work. She was so busy she barely had time to eat, staying up until two or three in the morning to coordinate with others.
She was utterly exhausted, losing track of the date. So, when she saw her mother calling, she assumed something had happened at home.
She grabbed her phone and went to the stairwell to answer, so as not to disturb her colleagues.
“Hello? Mom, what’s wrong?”
Her mother’s slightly distorted voice came through the phone. “Hello, Li Li. Happy birthday.”
She suddenly realized it was her birthday. Relieved that it wasn’t an emergency, she said, “Thank you.”
“What are you doing?”
“I’m at work.”
“Oh. When are you coming home for the New Year? You only came back for a day last year. You must stay longer this year.”
Qiao Li rubbed her temples. “I know. I won’t be too busy this Spring Festival. Don’t worry.”
Her mother’s voice brightened considerably. “That’s good, that’s good. Bring Zhou Zhe back too, so our relatives and friends can see him.”
Qiao Li froze. Someone passed by on the stairs and greeted her. She smiled and nodded, then turned away and lowered her voice. “Mom, Zhou Zhe and I broke up.”
“Broke up?! Why did you break up with him?” The sudden increase in volume made her pull the phone away from her ear.
Qiao Li really didn't want to continue this conversation, but she finally answered dutifully, “Mom, he dumped me.”
“What did you do that he dumped you? You were together for seven years! How could he break up with you? Apologize to him after he calms down. Men are softhearted. He’ll forgive you if you apologize.”
“Mom, it’s impossible. There’s no chance of us getting back together.” She was numb now, speaking patiently.
“Say that again?! Qiao Li, are you trying to kill me with anger? You were with him for seven years! Seven years wasted just like that? You're 26 today! Do you think you're still a young girl? Your cousin is already preparing to have her second child, and what are you doing, dragging your feet? I thought you were so independent, so I never pressured you. Zhou Zhe was such a good catch, and you didn't hold on to him! Do you think you can find someone as good as him again?”
Qiao Li sighed, wearily trying to reason. “Mom, please calm down…”
“Calm down? I think you’d be happy if I died of anger! How could I have raised such an ungrateful daughter? I paid for your university, your graduate school, and all that education just made you wild! You think working at a foreign company makes you so great, don’t you? How could I have given birth to a daughter like you? People will laugh at me…”
The accusations continued pouring from the phone. A colleague came over and tapped Qiao Li on the shoulder, asking where the signed documents were. She covered the microphone and quietly told him.
A few words leaked from the phone. Her colleague glanced at her awkwardly and hurried away.
Qiao Li put the phone back to her ear just as she heard her father’s voice in the background, trying to calm her mother down. Then the call abruptly ended.
She lowered her head, her hands falling limply to her sides. Leaning her head against the wall, she closed her eyes for a few seconds, took a few deep breaths, then calmly returned to her desk to continue working, showing no sign of the harsh words that had just been hurled at her.