"There's no color! I can't even see my masterpiece. Maybe we should use a red lipstick instead." He reached for her lipstick organizer.
Qiao Li quickly grabbed his hand. "It's fine, it's fine. Let's go watch the sunset."
Feng Yi glanced longingly at the lipsticks. "Okay, but next time I'll do your lipstick again." His confidence was overflowing. "I think I could do your eyebrows too, and that blush you put on looked easy. I'll do that for you next time." Qiao Li thought, No way.
Thanks to Feng Yi, this was the quickest Qiao Li had ever gotten ready to go out.
Hand in hand, they walked in the lingering glow of the sunset. Feng Yi suddenly became sentimental. "When we're old, we'll walk hand in hand in the park every day, leaning on our canes."
Qiao Li didn't respond. He had probably used up his entire quota of romantic lines for the day.
Once they reached the mall, Feng Yi's spirits soared. He was taking in everything around him.
"Wow, this double-door refrigerator is amazing! When we get married, we definitely need a big fridge." He ran his hand over the refrigerator's exterior, then saw the price tag and quickly calculated in his head. "Hmm, I need to work harder. I'll buy you the best refrigerator one day."
Qiao Li couldn't understand his enthusiasm. Everything seemed to fascinate him. He lingered in the cookware section for a while and happily bought matching plates and cups.
"We have to use these when we eat together," he declared, placing the dishes in the cart, then browsing the utensils with his hands clasped behind his back.
Qiao Li watched him standing among a group of housewives, speechless.
He finally finished selecting his utensils and pushed the cart out, weaving expertly through the crowd. "Come on, let's go to the toiletries section."
As soon as they entered the toiletries aisle, he spotted an elderly couple and immediately softened, his expression turning almost beatific as he gazed at Qiao Li. She couldn't take it and pinched his cheek, turning his head away.
As she did, Feng Yi spotted a young couple. The girl was sitting in the shopping cart, and the guy was pushing her. He pointed them out to Qiao Li. "Look at them."
Qiao Li replied flatly, "Absolutely not."
"Oh," Feng Yi nodded. "Okay."
He then turned and saw another couple, the boyfriend pushing the cart while the girlfriend walked behind him, her arms wrapped around his waist. He looked at Qiao Li with a slightly aggrieved expression. When she ignored him, he sulked at the couple. "Can't they just walk normally? Hmph."
The supermarket was incredibly crowded. The checkout line snaked through the aisles. As they waited, Feng Yi suddenly remembered something. "I forgot to buy chicken breast. Go get some while I wait in line."
Qiao Li didn't want to move. "Why chicken breast? Do you want to eat it?"
"It's for you. Aren't you on a diet? I saw a recipe online for baked chicken breast jerky. I'll make it for you to eat while we watch the New Year's Gala."
Qiao Li was completely bewildered. When had watching the New Year's Gala become part of their plans?
Her tolerance had increased significantly. After a moment's thought, she decided to let Feng Yi have his way. It was a holiday, after all; he could do what he wanted.
After navigating the dense crowd, Qiao Li finally found the chicken breast. Unsure which kind to buy, she stood in front of the refrigerated display, comparing the options. Just as she made her choice, someone called her name. "Qiao Li."
She turned around in surprise to see Zhou Zhe standing behind her.
They say you always run into your ex when you haven't washed your hair or put on makeup. Qiao Li used to think that would never happen to her, but ever since she met Feng Yi, everything had changed.
She tried to recall what she was wearing, realizing she’d lost her sense of what constituted “dressed up.” Constantly praised and pampered by Feng Yi, she was no longer sure what counted as a fashion misstep.
The thought of Feng Yi eased her tension. She greeted Zhou Zhe naturally.