"My parents divorced when I was six. I was the product of their failed marriage. Neither of them wanted me, so I was raised by my grandfather."

Yan Zhen had heard about this.

"Back then, Grandpa told me that my parents were working out of town and would be back soon. As long as I was obedient and got good grades, they would be happy and never leave again." 

His voice was calm, so calm that it didn't sound like he was talking about his own life. "I waited four years. Finally, I couldn't wait any longer. I took the money I'd saved and, one weekend, secretly took a bus to my grandmother's house. I found out that my mother had a new family, a new child. She was smiling so happily, I'd never seen her smile like that."

"I was shocked and heartbroken. I wanted to find my father and ask him why Mom didn't want us anymore. Grandpa desperately tried to stop me. That's when I found out that my father also had a new family, a new child."

"I was like trash, completely abandoned. No matter how hard I tried, how obedient I was, how good my grades were, I would never see my parents again."

Yan Zhen's throat tightened. "Chen Huaixu…"

"Later, when I was in high school, my grandfather passed away. The only person in the world who cared about me was gone." He wrapped the jacket tighter around her, reaching out to wipe a tear from the corner of her eye. "Actually, when I first saw Yan Zhao, I felt inferior. He was born the heir to everything, with everything I didn't have: loving parents, a happy family, a carefree life, and most importantly—"

He paused, as if making a joke. "—he had such a lovely little sister."

Yan Zhen blushed slightly. "What are you talking about!"

Chen Huaixu pulled her into his arms. Yan Zhen didn't resist, resting her cheek against his shoulder, her fingers lightly gripping his shirt.

"But later, I realized that if I didn't have something, I would fight for it. As long as I was willing to work hard, I could get what I wanted." His voice was soft but firm. "It was this belief that sustained me through school, and later, through founding Hexia and getting to where I am today."

Yan Zhen listened quietly, her heart churning like the ocean.

By the river at night, there were few pedestrians. In the quiet car, Chen Huaixu bared his heart to her, revealing a vulnerability he had never shown to anyone else.

Yan Zhen softly asked, "So now, have you gotten what you wanted?"

"Not yet, not quite. The thing I want most, I don't have yet."

"Baby." He held her tighter, his voice low. "Do you want me?"

He had shed all pretense and defenses, offering his truest self to her.

He asked if she wanted him. It was as if he was saying that if she didn't, he would be like that child again, discarded like trash in the darkness, never to find solace.

The car was silent, so silent that they could hear each other's breathing, the rise and fall, intertwined.

Yan Zhen didn't speak, only tightening her grip on his shirt.

Finally, she mumbled, "You know what? You remind me of Chocolate. The first time I saw Chocolate, he was so small, curled up in a ball, abandoned in a corner. It was raining. I didn't want to get involved, but he kept following me. In the end, I took him home."

Chen Huaixu chuckled. "Well, I am his father, after all. It's only natural he'd take after me."

Yan Zhen caught his implication and pinched him playfully on the waist. "Who said you could be Chocolate's father?"

"I'll be a good father." He touched her forehead, gazing into her eyes. "Baby, give me a chance, okay?"

Under his gaze, Yan Zhen's breath hitched. She was utterly defenseless. Her eyes darted around before she finally mumbled, "We'll see how you behave."

"Okay." He caressed her cheek, knowing he had to be patient. At least she had taken the first step.

He leaned in to kiss her, but she dodged before his lips could touch hers. Yan Zhen pushed him away. "I'm still mad at you!"

Chen Huaixu laughed. "Are you so angry this time because you like me and you were jealous?"

As if he'd stepped on her tail, Yan Zhen's cheeks flushed crimson. "Don't flatter yourself! I don't like you! You're annoying!"

They playfully bickered in the car for a while. Then, Chen Huaixu glanced at the time. "It's getting late. Let's go back."

He pulled Yan Zhen over to the passenger seat, tossing the convenience store bag into the back.

Looking at the bulging bag, Yan Zhen casually asked, "What did you buy?"

He fastened her seatbelt. "You'll see."

The car started again. Yan Zhen cracked the window, letting the cool air in, dispelling the lingering effects of the alcohol, though she still felt a little dizzy.

She leaned against the window, watching as they drove towards Floating Light Gardens, and then—

They passed the entrance.

"You missed the turn, Chen Huaixu!" she exclaimed. "We passed it! The Floating Light Gardens gate is back there."

"I didn't," Chen Huaixu said calmly. "I wouldn't mistake the way to my own home."

Yan Zhen stared blankly, confused. "You're not taking me home? Do you expect me to walk back by myself?"

"Didn't you say you wanted to see how I behave?" Chen Huaixu turned to look at her, a playful glint in his eyes. "Shall we start tonight?"


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments