Yan Zhen stormed out of the cafe without looking back. Chen Huaixu, momentarily stunned by her tearful accusations, quickly recovered and rushed after her, "Zhenzhen!"
By the time he reached the street, Yan Zhen had vanished, swallowed by the maze of corners. He frowned, pulling out his phone to call her. It rang twice before she hung up. He tried again, only to find himself blocked. For the first time, Chen Huaixu felt the frustrating helplessness of not being able to explain himself.
Zhou Wan followed him out, watching as he repeatedly dialed his phone. Realizing the beautiful girl must be important to him, she spoke anxiously, "Brother... Did I cause that girl to misunderstand? I can explain."
Chen Huaixu rubbed his temples and sighed. "It's not your fault. It's my problem. I'll contact my doctor friend about Mom's illness and see what can be done. Don't worry too much. Focus on your college entrance exams."
Tears welled in Zhou Wan's eyes as she nodded. "I'm so sorry... Mom kept telling me not to bother you, saying she already owed you too much. But I'm so scared. I didn't know where else to turn... I can't lose Mom..."
Chen Huaixu was silent for a moment before softly replying, "It's alright. She's my mother, too. I don't want to see her like this." He glanced down at his phone. Yan Zhen had blocked him on WeChat as well.
"Go back inside and wait. I'll have my assistant take you home." He dialed Yan Zhao's number, then turned back to Zhou Wan. "If I hear anything from the hospital, I'll have them contact you directly."
Zhou Wan nodded, thanked him repeatedly, and returned to the cafe.
As soon as Yan Zhao answered, before Chen Huaixu could speak, he drawled, "Let me just say upfront, Her Royal Highness has decreed that I'm not to reveal her whereabouts. Now, what else can I do for you?"
Chen Huaixu paused.
"Oh, and it's 3:00 AM here on the East Coast," Yan Zhao added, his voice thick with sleep. "So make it quick. I don't offer late-night emotional support services."
"Zhou Wan came to see me today, and Zhenzhen saw her. There's been a misunderstanding."
"...Zhou Wan?" Yan Zhao's excellent memory supplied the name. "Your half-sister, from your mom's second marriage? I thought you hadn't spoken in years. Is she trying to reconnect now that you're successful?"
"No," Chen Huaixu said wearily. "My mom collapsed at home. The hospital thinks it might be cancer. Zhou Wan was terrified and didn't know what to do, so she came to me."
Yan Zhao was silent for a moment. "Do you want me to help you contact the hospital?"
"Yes, please. If it's a misdiagnosis, fine. But if it is cancer, and it's treatable, let's do everything we can. Even one more day is precious. I'll cover the expenses."
"She hasn't cared for you since you were six," Yan Zhao said quietly. "Chen Huaixu, there are limits to filial piety."
"I didn't want to do this either." Chen Huaixu covered his eyes, hiding his emotions. After a long pause, he whispered, "Just consider it repaying her for giving me life."
The heavy topic closed, Chen Huaixu continued, "Zhenzhen knows I'd go to the Yan family home looking for her, so she definitely won't go back. Is she with you? At Floating Light Court?"
Yan Zhao chuckled. "Detective Chen Huaixu, as sharp as ever. But Her Royal Highness is rather upset this time. She might be difficult to appease."
Chen Huaixu smiled. "It doesn't matter. I'm willing to appease her, no matter how upset she is."
Yan Zhao was on a business trip to the United States, and Yan Zhen had escaped to the Floating Light Bar. But she couldn't find any peace alone, so she called Ying Shu to meet her at a bar to drown her sorrows.
Ying Shu readily agreed and immediately sent a car to pick her up.
Sitting side-by-side in the backseat, Ying Shu saw Yan Zhen's red-rimmed eyes and offered her a tissue. "What's wrong? Why are you crying so much?"