“I used to think your brother was being unreasonable forbidding you from dating before you turned twenty. Now I think he was absolutely right. You’re too naive when it comes to relationships. So many people are interested in you, and if you’re not careful, you’ll be taken advantage of.” Ying Shu sighed. “Next time, set up a meeting. I’ll size him up for you, see what kind of guy he really is.”

A few days later, Yan Zhen found herself wandering through the CBD and stopped at the base of a towering office building. Its sleek glass facade reflected sharp light as suited figures bustled in and out, the epitome of high-end business.

This was where Chen Huaixu’s company was located.

Checking the time, she decided to grab a coffee nearby while she considered whether to tell him she was there. Would it disturb his work? she wondered.

It was a weekday afternoon, and the café was relatively empty. Yan Zhen walked towards the back, looking for a window seat, when she spotted a familiar figure.

Chen Huaixu.

He was leaning back on a sofa, facing a young woman who looked no older than nineteen. Head down, her shoulders shook with quiet sobs.

Was this an internship interview? Had Chen Huaixu, with his notoriously sharp tongue, reduced the poor girl to tears?

Curiosity piqued, but unwilling to pry, Yan Zhen started to move to a table further away. Before she could take a step, she heard the girl’s choked whisper: “Gege…”

Yan Zhen froze.

Chen Huaixu was an only child. In all the years she’d known him, she’d never heard of him having a sister this age.

Maybe she’d misheard.

The girl’s crying continued, her heartbroken sniffles echoing through the quiet café. “Gege… if it wasn’t for you… I don’t know what I’d do… I’m so scared…”

Yan Zhen felt a chill run through her.

Chen Huaixu listened silently, not correcting the girl’s term of endearment. He offered her tissues from the table, sighing softly. “Don’t cry. I’ll handle it. Don’t worry.”

So, this wasn't unique to her. He could accept this level of intimacy, this affectionate title of "brother," from other young women, comforting them with a tenderness that contradicted his usual aloofness.

Did that mean they kissed too? Did they… do other intimate things?

Would he call them “baby” too?

Yan Zhen couldn’t bear to think about it any longer.

Ying Shu’s words echoed in her mind, sharp and painful. “Yan Zhen, you haven’t actually fallen for him, have you?”

The sound of shattering porcelain cut through the air.

Both figures at the table turned. Chen Huaixu looked surprised to see her. “Zhen Zhen?”

“Chen Huaixu!” Yan Zhen’s voice caught in her throat, thick with unshed tears and hurt. Her hand trembled, unable to hold her purse. “You liar! I hate you!”


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments