Feng Yi was exhausted after an afternoon of hard work, but he only rested on the bed for a short while before getting up. Qiao Li, undisturbed, napped and awoke to find Feng Yi's takeout order had arrived.

Getting out of bed, she discovered Feng Yi had washed her stockings and underwear, hanging them neatly on hangers in a well-ventilated spot. A wave of complex emotions washed over her, making her feel like she'd stumbled upon a fairy tale.

After their meal, Qiao Li showered, changed, and drove Feng Yi back to school.

Knowing Qiao Li would return to Z City the next day, Feng Yi clung to her, reluctant to let her go.

Qiao Li drove onto campus, taking him right to his dorm.

"Get out of the car," she said, patting his face.

Feng Yi reluctantly climbed out. "I'm coming back to see you for New Year's."

"Okay," she replied, waving. "Go on in."

Feng Yi walked past young couples entwined like octopuses at the base of the dorm building and up the stairs. He couldn't resist glancing back and his heart soared when he saw Qiao Li was still watching him.

He waved his arms enthusiastically, like a taxi driver soliciting fares at a train station. Qiao Li, unable to bear the sight, shifted gears and prepared to drive away.

But Feng Yi wasn't done. He stretched out his arms, forming a heart shape with his body. Tall and handsome, he stood out among the other couples, his antics so ridiculous that Qiao Li simply drove off.

The moment she left, Feng Yi deflated, standing at the dorm entrance gazing after her, drawing stares from the amorous couples.

The next morning, before he could fully register Qiao Li's absence, a phone call from his mother sent shivers down his spine. He didn't dare skip class, but he delayed meeting his mother until lunch.

His mother began by inquiring about the situation, which inevitably led to the topic of Qiao Li. Feng Yi confessed everything, omitting certain intimate details, of course.

"So, you like her just because she's pretty?"

Feng Yi's eyes widened. "Of course not! Mom, how could you think that of your son?"

Lin Lan held out her hand. "Let me see a picture."

Feng Yi proudly displayed his phone's lock screen.

"Well, she is beautiful."

He beamed with pride.

After a moment of appreciation, Lin Lan shook her head. "Seven years older..."

Feng Yi's heart sank. "Mom, why are you sighing?"

"It just seems like such a waste… Never mind. You two go ahead. If she agrees and you're happy, it's your life, and I have no right to say anything."

Feng Yi knew his mother well and felt a pang of unhappiness. "Do you think it won't work out?"

Lin Lan looked at him. "You're only eighteen."

Something in Feng Yi snapped. "So what if I'm eighteen! I'm an adult! I'm a man! Someone in their twenties or thirties seems old to me!"

His mother gave him a pointed look, and he immediately deflated like a punctured balloon. "Mom, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell."

"See? You're not even confident in this relationship yourself."

He puffed up again, muttering, "I am!"

Spotting a piece of trash on the ground, he angrily picked it up and threw it in the bin. "Why does everyone think we can't be together?"

"Because older women and younger men are rarely seen as a good match, let alone with a seven-year age gap."

Feng Yi kicked at the ground. "It's perfect! I'm younger and stronger. When she gets old, I can carry her." He added fiercely, "If she found someone older than her, they'd both be using canes!"

Lin Lan couldn't help but laugh. "You've thought about the future?"

He looked at her, surprised, as if his loyalty had been questioned. "Of course! I told you I'm serious! I'm serious, serious, serious, serious!"

"Okay, okay, you're serious. But what about her? What about reality? Some things can't be overcome with good intentions alone."


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments