The wind howled fiercely today, sending children's kites soaring. Rong Yan stood at the palace gates, his gaze fixed on a dragonfly kite dancing high on the gusts. A wave of memories washed over him, bringing forth images of Shen Ruoyu in his past life. She, too, had loved kites, though his own nature preferred the quiet company of books within a pavilion. He recalled her invitation to fly kites together during the third month of spring, shortly after their marriage. He had declined, citing pressing matters. Pressing matters? He hadn't been busy at all.

That day, a court official had hosted a banquet, and Rong Yan's name was on the guest list. He loathed such boisterous, superficial gatherings and had initially declined. It was only when he noticed Shen Xinghuai's name among the guests that he inexplicably accepted the invitation.

“Husband, shall we go fly kites?” Shen Ruoyu had asked, her voice brimming with excitement. Newly wed, she still possessed a maiden's shyness, her heart full of hope for the future. Back then, she hadn't yet been disillusioned by him, her affection for him still strong.

Rong Yan lowered his eyes, guilt gnawing at him as he tucked the invitation away. "I have some matters to attend to today," he'd said. "Perhaps Xiao Chun could accompany you?"

Shen Ruoyu's disappointment was palpable, yet she chose to believe him, taking her kite and running off alone.

"Later, after she died, I flew a kite by myself and found it utterly meaningless. Indeed, kite-flying is only enjoyable with someone you cherish." He didn't know why, but lately, fragments of the past kept resurfacing. So many memories had returned that he now recoiled from them.

Lu Zhixing hadn't attended court today, and the Emperor's inquiries to his residence had yielded no answers. The capital city, vast yet intimate, led Rong Yan to a chance encounter with Jiang Peizhi just outside the palace walls. Jiang Peizhi was unmistakable, a vibrant splash of color in any crowd. He paced anxiously, like an ant on a hot griddle.

Sensing Rong Yan's gaze, Jiang Peizhi turned, his eyes landing on the official in his court robes. He planted his left hand on his hip, his right index finger jabbing accusingly at Rong Yan. “Hey, aren't you that Rong Yan? What are you doing just standing here? Why aren't you out of the city looking for Yu’er? I'm telling you, if we don’t find Yu’er today, I'll tear down your mansion! And Lu Zhixing's too!"

Rong Yan ignored him, sidestepping him with an air of disdain. Such vulgarity and lack of manners.

“Are you deaf? Shen Ruoyu choosing you was a blessing you earned over several lifetimes. Now she’s trapped outside the city, and you're just going to ignore it?” Jiang Peizhi grabbed Rong Yan’s arm, stopping him. He had always disliked Rong Yan, finding him pretentious.

“Hey, I’m talking to you! Yu’er’s letter said she went out of the city with Lu Zhixing to find that Shen Xinghuai. If anything happens to her, I’ll die too. Forget it, I'm not wasting my breath on you. I’m going now.” 

Jiang Peizhi spun in a frenzy of anxiety. Since reasoning with Rong Yan seemed futile, he decided to act. Shen Ruoyu's letter had instructed him to lead a search party along the path lined with blooming dianthus outside the city if she hadn't returned by the hour mentioned.

Jiang Peizhi's family wealth rivaled that of nations, affording him a retinue of skilled martial artists, now poised for action.

Finally, a ripple of emotion crossed Rong Yan's face. "What did you say happened to Shen Xinghuai?"

Jiang Peizhi stared back in disbelief. “I can’t believe my ears! I’ve been talking about Shen Ruoyu this whole time, and all you heard was Shen Xinghuai?” He had never believed Rong Yan truly cared for Shen Ruoyu; it had always been that foolish girl's one-sided infatuation.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry…" As if jolted awake, Rong Yan repeated the words, their familiarity striking a chord. He remembered Jiang Peizhi's tearful accusations after Shen Ruoyu's death. "Rong Yan, she did so much for you, yet all you cared about was Shen Xinghuai! Are you even human?!"

Rong Yan hadn't wept at Shen Ruoyu's passing; he couldn't. Shen Xinghuai's death, however, had brought him a period of grief. Now, looking back, he felt an overwhelming sense of guilt towards her.

"My lord, my lord, what's wrong?" His attendant, noticing the tears welling in Rong Yan's eyes, rushed forward with a handkerchief.

Rong Yan waved him off. "It's nothing. I don't know why I suddenly feel so melancholic. Prepare the carriage. We're leaving the city…" 

He hadn't loved Shen Ruoyu, but perhaps he had grown accustomed to her presence, to her lively chatter. After her death, a profound loneliness had settled upon him. He hadn't cried then, but now, in this new life, waves of grief washed over him.

When Rong Yan looked up again, Jiang Peizhi was gone.

Deep within the dungeons, Shen Xinghuai, startled by the sounds of passion emanating from the nearby cell holding Lu Zhixing and Shen Ruoyu, struggled to his feet. Ignoring the searing pain from his recent flogging, he strained to see what was happening within. Unless he witnessed it with his own eyes, he refused to believe his sister would engage in such acts with that man…

Even if it were true, it must be under duress. Lu Zhixing was the most despicable creature alive.

Helian Yi's voice echoed from outside the dungeon. "Let's see how well-behaved my little dogs are."

The sudden sound made Lu Zhixing jump.

"Shen Ruoyu, don't push it!" Lu Zhixing's palms sweated, his fingers clenched, and a throbbing ache pulsed below his abdomen. Shen Ruoyu refused to help him. To be so humiliated by a woman, no less, was a disgrace to his status as a prince.

She had even stepped on him, an act both repulsive and strangely arousing, sending shivers down his spine.

Shen Ruoyu blinked, her gaze fixed on the scattered scars across Lu Zhixing's chest. "I can help you find release," she offered softly, "but I have one condition. I want the military deployment map for the Northwest."

"What would a woman want with that?" Lu Zhixing gasped, his face flushed crimson.

"What do you care what I want with it? Give it to me, or you can wait for Helian Yi's men to take turns with you. Let's see how long your delicate skin can endure that." Shen Ruoyu gripped Lu Zhixing's chin, savoring his helpless state. How did that saying go? A fallen phoenix is not as good as a chicken. Helian Yi's words hinted at the potency of the drug.

Lu Zhixing wouldn't be able to withstand it.

"Shen Ruoyu, you enjoy making deals? Do you know that the first thing I'll do once this poison is gone is kill you?"


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments