“How dare you speak ill of my sister? She is the finest woman in the world.” Shen Ruoyu was his Achilles' heel; no one was allowed to criticize her.

Beneath the silver mask, the man laughed derisively. He drew a long whip from his waist and lashed it viciously across Shen Xinghuai’s back. “I intended to be gentle, but you are simply too disobedient. Who do you think you are? You are nothing but a prisoner. If you wish to live, you will obey. Once I have what I want, I will naturally release you.”

The whip struck Shen Xinghuai’s flesh, tearing his skin. His face paled, and cold sweat beaded on his brow from the agonizing pain. He bit his lip. “Hah… What do you want? And what is your relationship with Lu Zhixing? Born of love, turned to hate?”

The man wore nothing that could identify him, save for the distinctive silver mask. His clothes and accessories were utterly ordinary, revealing no clues to his identity.

Shen Xinghuai’s sarcastic jab seemed to strike true. The man remained silent for a long moment before finally speaking. “I’ll remind you that knowing too much can shorten your life. And… if I hadn’t seen you meeting privately with the Prince Yu’s son, I would have thought you were in love with your own sister.”

Shen Xinghuai didn't argue with the man's retort. Firstly, it was true; he did love his sister. Secondly, the man's identity was unknown, and speaking further might endanger Shen Ruoyu.

Meanwhile, back at the Shen residence, Shen Ruoyu was frantically searching for her brother.

She summoned Xiao Liu and inquired about Shen Xinghuai’s itinerary, confirming that he had gone to see Lu Zhixing before his disappearance. As to the reason for the visit, Xiao Liu remained tight-lipped, claiming ignorance.

Unable to glean any further information, she dismissed Xiao Liu and returned to Shen Xinghuai’s room to search his recent correspondence.

“Yuyu, shouldn’t you eat something? You’ve been running around and must be exhausted,” Jiang Peizhi said, settling onto a wooden stool. He had offered to help, but Shen Ruoyu had told him not to get in the way; it would be enough if he didn't make things worse.

Shen Ruoyu sifted through Shen Xinghuai’s letters, replying absently, “I’m not hungry. If you’re so bored, go to the back courtyard and find Su Tu. You’re the patron who bought his freedom, after all.”

Jiang Peizhi’s ears perked up. He stood up. “No way, that Su Tu is actually at your house? How utterly shameless! He just stays here without leaving? It takes me an act of courage just to visit, and he thinks he can just live here?”

He had originally bought Su Tu’s freedom to spite Lu Zhixing, whose arrogance was beyond bearing. Now, this Su Tu dared to approach Yuyu? How dare a lowborn prostitute try to entangle himself with her?

Jiang Peizhi’s anger flared. He rolled up his sleeves and started towards the back courtyard. “Don’t worry, Yuyu. I’ll chase him away.”

“Don’t bother. He’s of some use to me.” Shen Ruoyu called him back just in time. Su Tu’s face, so similar to her brother’s, might prove useful. Looking at Jiang Peizhi, she wondered how they had become friends, given their completely different personalities.

“Fine,” Jiang Peizhi said, grabbing some pastries and devouring them before returning to his small wooden stool.

“The New Year is approaching. Shouldn’t you be learning the family business instead of running around? I believe you’re of marriageable age next year. It’s time to settle down.”

Shen Ruoyu’s words wiped the usual playful grin from Jiang Peizhi’s face. He sighed and said seriously, “It’s not that I don’t want to marry. With my reputation, who would give their daughter to me?”

Even Grand Tutor Shen wouldn’t let him into the Shen residence. It was clear that Jiang Peizhi was truly despised.

As if struck by a thought, Jiang Peizhi slung an arm around Shen Ruoyu’s shoulders, feigning nonchalance. “Say, Yuyu, since neither of our reputations is particularly stellar, why don’t you break off your engagement with Rong Yan, and we can make a match of it? With me, you’ll be the owner of the largest merchant house in the capital.”

Shen Ruoyu glanced at him. If he hadn’t said it with such a flippant air, she might have taken him seriously.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Young Master Jiang. I have no leads on my brother, and you have time for jokes? You should return home before your father threatens to break your legs again. I have urgent business at the Prince’s residence…”

Shen Xinghuai’s letters had been purged of anything useful. The only person who might know the silver-masked man’s identity was Lu Zhixing. For her brother’s sake, she had to go to the Prince’s residence. She didn't care who this man was; no one was allowed to harm Shen Xinghuai.


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments