As Tao Yu's thoughts spiraled, Yue Linze's gaze dropped, and he moved off her. The release of pressure brought a wave of relief. It seemed her assessment was correct. His interest was superficial. This would be easier to handle. Once she escaped tonight, she'd dress more conservatively, adopt some uncouth habits – anything to extinguish his fleeting attraction.

While he was gone, Tao Yu quickly refastened her clothes, buttoning her top from bottom to top.

Yue Linze returned with a stack of something in his hands. Tao Yu blinked, wondering if he intended to tempt her with money.

…What had she done to deserve such extravagance from Mr. Yue?

He stood over her again. "I didn't realize your ambitions were so grand. You aspire to be Mrs. Yue?"

Tao Yu opened her mouth to deny it, but then paused. If he believed her to be greedy, it might work to her advantage, as long as she didn't overdo it. She offered a wry smile, a mixture of acquiescence and hidden hardship.

Seeing her silence, he tossed the items onto her lap. "Too late tonight. We'll get the license tomorrow."

Tao Yu stared down at the pile of identification documents, her heart plummeting. Yue Linze lifted her chin.

"Something to say?" he asked coldly.

Her lips twitched. "Yes… I have my period."

"Tao Yu!" His eyes narrowed dangerously, his expression threatening to toss her out.

He wasn't a fool. He saw through her charade. None of her excuses were true. Only one possibility remained—

Tao Yu had never liked him.

"You've been playing me," he said, his voice laced with barely contained fury.

Tao Yu's heart sank at his darkening expression. He seemed even more volatile than before. He'd dealt with Yue Linying and Gu Yansheng, yet his alternate personality persisted. A chilling thought took root.

Perhaps his anger now stemmed from her. He was fixated on her, and her rejection fueled his rage.

…But when had she become so significant in his eyes?

The realization stunned her.

"What do you want?" Yue Linze's voice, though calmer, was sharp. "After everything you've done for me, what do you want?"

Tao Yu's lips parted. She had no doubt that whether she told the truth or lied, he might throw her out. Before, it was professional ethics that prevented intimacy. Now, she was the source of his turmoil, and healing him seemed more important.

But it was too late. Her repeated rejections had convinced him of her deceit. Any explanation would sound hollow.

"Fine, I admit it. I don't have my period. I lied," she confessed, abandoning her professional smile. "Just listen to me, please. Don't be angry."

"Explain," he said, his gaze fixed on her hands. Despite his simmering anger, he didn't push her away.

Tao Yu coughed, lowering her voice. "I do like you. That part is true. You asked what I want. I just want you to be happy. Nothing else."

Yue Linze watched her impassively, his belief unclear.

Tao Yu's eyes glistened. "You don't have to force yourself because I helped you. I never expected anything in return. This… this would make me feel terrible. It wouldn't be a reward, but a torment."

She reframed her earlier rejection, making it seem as though his advances were merely repayment for her help, and she, the selfless lover, was refusing him for his own good. She hoped it might salvage the situation.

His gaze remained locked on hers as she spoke.

Tao Yu offered a small smile, glancing at the precarious bath towel around his waist. She coughed again and turned towards the wardrobe. As she picked out clothes, she felt his eyes burning into her back, like a predator watching its prey.

Startled by the image, she blinked it away. She quickly grabbed a robe and returned to him.

"You're cold. Put this on." She held it out.

Yue Linze glanced down, but didn't move.

Tao Yu sighed and stepped closer. The height difference, combined with their proximity, meant her head was almost level with his breath.

She unfolded the robe and, rising on tiptoe, draped it over him. Her hands brushed his shoulders. As she looked up, she met his dark, unreadable gaze.

She froze, captivated. Looking into those eyes, she realized he hadn't believed a word she'd said.

Words weren't enough. She had to do something. She stared at him, then impulsively kissed his lips.

Being proactive felt different. When she was on the defensive, she was too panicked to focus. Now, the tables were turned. He offered no resistance, and she could concentrate fully on the sensation of his lips against hers.

She hadn't realized how soft they were. Warm and yielding, a stark contrast to his cool demeanor.

It was a chaste kiss, but it lingered. Long enough that her toes began to ache.

She expected a reaction, but he remained impassive. For a moment, she wondered if she'd misjudged everything. Perhaps he wasn't interested at all. She stepped back, murmuring, "I… I'm sorry."

"What are you doing?" He finally spoke, his eyes fixed on her flushed face.

Tao Yu's blush deepened. Her gaze darted around. Despite her calculated move, his question made her want to disappear.

She didn't answer, and he didn't press her. Silence stretched between them.

Her eyes wandered, settling on the untied belt of his robe. She hesitated.

Then, she reached out and quickly tied it. She glanced at him, feigning a complaint. "You started it. If you hadn't come on to me, I wouldn't have even dreamed…"

"Dreamed of what?" he prompted, his eyes narrowing as she trailed off.

Tao Yu coughed. "Dreamed of dating you."

Silence.

Tao Yu wondered if she'd said the wrong thing again. Just as she began to search for a new topic, he spoke. "Then let's date."

"Huh?"

"I said I'd reward you," he said, a hint of impatience in his voice. "I didn't realize you were so complicated."

…Sir, you're the one who's attracted to me. Don't use a reward as an excuse. And what self-respecting young woman would want that as a first reward? Only a p3rvert!


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments