Feng Yi immediately responded, "No! I have something to talk about!"
Qiao Li checked the time and sighed inwardly. "Okay, okay. What is it?"
There was a pause. "Uh, well, I... I... I want to buy a ticket to come back next week for National Day."
Qiao Li said, "Okay."
Feng Yi hesitated. "Do you want me to come back?"
Qiao Li, sensing she wouldn't be able to end the call unless she played along, sighed. "Yes."
The voice on the other end brightened. "So... you miss me?"
Qiao Li simply hummed in agreement.
Then, silence.
After a few seconds, she asked, "Feng Yi?"
"Hmm?" His voice was strange, a soft nasal hum.
"Can I hang up now?"
More silence.
"Feng Yi?" She turned up the volume and then... heard strange, heavy breathing.
"...What are you doing?"
Feng Yi's voice was small, trembling. "Say my name again."
Qiao Li felt a vein throb in her temple. Through gritted teeth, she said, "Feng Yi!"
A low groan escaped from the phone.
Qiao Li was speechless.
Moonlight spilled into the room as Qiao Li held the phone in silence. Then, she heard Feng Yi say, "Can you... hmm... say my name one more time?"
"Feng Yi!" she yelled.
A ragged gasp, then a sudden, sharp cry, "Ah..."
Qiao Li's anger morphed into utter disbelief. She felt like she was sighing more and more since she started seeing Feng Yi.
"I'm hanging up."
Feng Yi's rationality returned. He sounded cautious. "Are you mad?"
"No." She was just incredibly speechless.
"I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself." His voice was small.
"It's fine, I'm really not mad."
"When you yelled my name just now—"
Qiao Li quickly cut him off. "I yelled, so I'm not mad anymore."
Then she heard the rest of his sentence, "...it was so hot..."
Qiao Li was dumbfounded. "Do you know how infuriating you are right now?"
"Huh?" He sounded startled, then his voice took on a strange tone. "Do you... do you want to punish me?"
Qiao Li, who had been about to hang up, smirked. "Yes, I want to bully you, really hard."
Feng Yi's breath hitched. "Huh? Like... that kind of bully?"
Qiao Li almost laughed. Was he shy or shameless? Why was he suddenly so coy?
"What kind of bullying are you thinking of?"
Feng Yi immediately backpedaled, words tumbling out. "I wasn't thinking anything! I didn't think anything at all! Uh, didn't you say you were going to hang up and sleep? Goodnight! Let's talk tomorrow!"
Qiao Li settled back onto her bed, amus3ment lacing her voice. "Tell me what kind of bullying you were thinking about, then you can hang up."
Feng Yi stammered, unable to speak. Finally, he mumbled, "I was wrong..."
Qiao Li deepened her voice, feigning seriousness. "Wrong about what? Wrong about touching yourself?"
"Yes." His contrite tone painted a picture of a dejected figure slumped over his phone.
"Did you come?"
"...Yes."
"On your hand or on tissue?"
"...Tissue."
Qiao Li suppressed a giggle. "Hmm?"
Feng Yi confessed, "Mostly... on the tissue. Some got on my hand."
Qiao Li was inwardly howling with laughter, but her voice remained stern. "Take a picture. Of the tissue, and your hand."