“I believe his name was Su Tu? I’m not acquainted with him.” 

Shen Ruoyu could barely recall the name of the courtesan from the Tianxi Pavilion. Jiang Peizhi had won the auction and held the man's contract. Why was this Su Tu seeking her out now?

Shen Xinghuai fastened her cloak, his voice insistent. “Is that so? Then why would he come here? And why would Sister go to such a place?” 

To put it bluntly, it was a pleasure house, not some ordinary tavern or restaurant. How could his sister go to such a place? What troubled Shen Xinghuai even more was that Su Tu not only resembled him but also carried the same scent he’d noticed on his sister that night he’d chanced upon her. He couldn't bear the thought of such a person having any connection with his sister.

“What is this, an interrogation? I have nothing to do with him. Let's first ask him his purpose. If it’s nothing important, send him away.” 

This was Shen Ruoyu's first visit to the Tianxi Pavilion since her awakening, and her first encounter with this Su Tu. She knew nothing about him and couldn't make any rash decisions.

Shen Xinghuai’s lips curved into a slight smile as he nuzzled his head against her temple like a spoiled child. “Of course not, Sister. You jest. How could I be interrogating you? I’m just worried you might be bullied out there…”

“Well, if you stop from being bullied, that would save me a lot of worry. Take him to the back courtyard and see if he truly has something to say.” Shen Ruoyu noticed her younger brother’s clinginess, but at least he was obedient this time.

“Alright, I’ll listen to Sister. I’ll take this gentleman to the back courtyard. Father was looking for you earlier, and he seemed quite upset. Perhaps you should attend to him first? I’ll take care of things in the back.”

“What? Father is looking for me?” 

Shen Xinghuai’s words reminded her. Rong Yan had come with a marriage proposal today, and she had dismissed him without a second thought. If she lost such a golden opportunity because of this, her father would be furious. Unlike her, he didn't know Rong Yan's true nature and future actions.

The matter was urgent. Shen Ruoyu needed to explain things to her father, the Grand Tutor Shen. She agreed to Shen Xinghuai's suggestion. “Alright, I’ll go to Father. Settle him in for now, and I’ll be there shortly.”

“Don’t you trust me? Go on, Sister. Father will be anxious.” Shen Xinghuai urged her to leave, and without further thought, Shen Ruoyu turned, closed the door, and left.

As the door clicked shut, a figure emerged from behind the heavy curtains. Xiao Liu glanced at Shen Xinghuai’s displeased expression. “Young Master, should we deal with this Su Tu?”

Shen Xinghuai shook his head. “If he truly earned Sister’s favor with his face, then I admit, I'm jealous. But now is not the time to bother with an insignificant courtesan. Xiao Liu, write a letter for me. Invite Lu Zhixing out. I need to use him to deal with that bothersome Rong Yan.”

Su Tu was nothing. Rong Yan was the true threat. Although Lu Zhixing was no saint—Shen Xinghuai found the mere sight of him repulsive and unsettling—he still had some use. The man constantly pursued him. Did he really think everyone shared his fondness for men? Lu Zhixing had the audacity to constantly criticize women, oblivious to his own flaws.

“Lu Zhixing may be despicable, but he’s still useful. Exploiting him is fine. If we can drive a wedge between him and Rong Yan, all the better.”

Xiao Liu nodded. “Yes, Young Master. I’ll write the letter immediately.”

Shen Xinghuai occasionally had Xiao Liu write letters to Lu Zhixing, which the latter treasured. In truth, Shen Xinghuai held him in contempt. Aside from his privileged background, the young lord seemed to have no redeeming qualities.

And Rong Yan was even more hateful. Shen Xinghuai had long sensed his future brother-in-law's interest in him. He believed Rong Yan’s appearance had shifted his sister’s attention away from him, fueling his dislike. He had witnessed Rong Yan repeatedly disregard his sister's genuine affection. She loved him deeply, yet he always disappointed her. Even this proposal was merely because the Rong family needed a mistress. He never loved his sister but continuously exploited her affections for his own gain. Such a person was even more repulsive than Lu Zhixing.

“Xiao Liu, tell me, am I the villain, or does Rong Yan deserve his fate?” Shen Xinghuai pushed open the window, letting the biting wind rush in. He squinted at the red plum blossoms outside.

Xiao Liu continued writing, not daring to speak or speculate on his master’s thoughts.

“Xiao Liu, I’m not wrong. You know, I had a dream. In the dream, Lu Zhixing ruined my family, and Rong Yan left my sister to die alone in the back courtyard. After her death, she didn’t even have a coffin, just a straw mat for burial. Whose fault is that?”

Xiao Liu imitated Shen Xinghuai’s handwriting, finished the letter, and handed it to him. “It’s their fault. Besides, dreams are often the opposite of reality. Young Master, you should think positively. You’ve done nothing wrong. You simply want to protect those you care about.”

“Good. Then, Xiao Liu, deliver this letter to Lu Zhixing’s residence. I want to see just how much he fancies me, and whether he’ll act against Rong Yan for my sake.”


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments