"No way!" Yan Zhen refused instantly. "I want to be on your team." 

She was determined to beat Yan Zhao, even if it was a silly game.

"Don't," Yan Zhao drawled. "Your Lu gege is practically bankrupt. Don't drag him down with you."

"Drag him down? You're the one—" Yan Zhen abruptly stopped, the phrase oddly familiar.

“Oh really? Then be prepared to be dragged down. I won’t let you go.”

“I await your attempt.”

A plan sparked in her mind. "I'll team up with Huaixu gege then." Turning, she offered the man beside her a sweet smile. "Huaixu gege won't mind, will he?" Despite their private animosity, Yan Zhen maintained a facade of politeness in public, forcing herself to use the respectful "gege."

Her smile, however, couldn't quite mask the mischief in her eyes. Chen Huaixu didn't comment, simply inclining his head. "Get in."

Watching them walk away, Lu Jingxuan looked puzzled. "Did the sun rise in the west today?"

"You really are clueless," Yan Zhao said, tucking his phone into his pocket. "Be sure to thank Chen tonight. Someone's footing the bill."

Lu Jingxuan's game was a simple card game.

In the first round, Yan Zhen's hands seemed to betray her. Misplayed cards, missed opportunities—she lost every hand, landing squarely in last place. She looked at Chen Huaixu with feigned innocence. "I'm really bad at this. I'm so sorry."

Chen Huaixu remained silent.

The second round was a repeat performance. Yan Zhen sighed dramatically, nearly managing a few tears. "They're so good! How did I lose again?" She lowered her head, her dark hair cascading over her shoulder, hiding her face and lending her a touch of vulnerability.

If it weren't for the slight curve of her lips, she might have been convincing.

Chen Huaixu glanced at her.

By the third round, having successfully sabotaged Chen Huaixu, Yan Zhen decided to play for real. Ironically, paired with Yan Zhao, she was utterly decimated.

"I…" she began.

"Lost again, I know," Yan Zhao finished.

And so, the car game concluded with Yan Zhen and Chen Huaixu losing all three rounds.

They arrived at the lakeside just as planned, and Lu Jingxuan organized the barbecue setup. Exhausted from waking up early to get ready and the intense focus of the card game, Yan Zhen slumped against the car window, on the verge of sleep.

Lu Jingxuan, assuming she was upset about losing, approached her with brotherly concern. "Don't worry about the game. With Chen Huaixu around, he won't let you pay a dime."

Yan Zhen mumbled a response.

Lu Jingxuan studied her more closely. "Are you carsick? Lie down in the back. I have some medicine in the car."

"No, just tired," she rubbed her eyes. "I'll be fine in a minute."

Yan Zhen climbed into the backseat to rest. Through her drowsiness, she heard the car door open and someone slide in beside her.

Opening her eyes, she saw Chen Huaixu. She yawned languidly. "Go somewhere else if you want to rest. This is my space now."

Chen Huaixu ignored her, his voice smooth and measured. "Do you know how much money I spent today?"

Yan Zhen was too tired to care. "You make so much, what's a little spending? Don't be so stingy."

"The money isn't the issue. The issue is you deliberately made me spend it."

Yan Zhen squirmed, avoiding his gaze. "I'm so sleepy. I'm going to sleep."

Chen Huaixu glanced out the window and pressed a button, closing the car window.

Confused by the sudden darkness, she started to open her eyes, but a warm hand cupped the back of her neck, pulling her towards him. Her shoulder bumped against his chest, and then her chin was caught, tilted upwards as Chen Huaixu leaned in.

The feeling of his lips on hers startled her. A blush flooded her cheeks as she pushed against him. "Chen Huaixu, you…"

He held her firmly, his voice still calm. "There are people outside."

The unspoken threat was clear.

Yan Zhen froze, glaring at him, a mixture of anger and embarrassment burning in her.

He looked down at her, his fingers tracing her cheek. "As you said, I'm a stickler for details, so…"

"A little compensation isn't too much to ask, is it?"


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments