“Alright, I’ll help sister with whatever you want to do.”

Although Shen Xinghuai didn’t quite understand the meaning behind Shen Ruoyu’s words, he agreed without hesitation. His sister was his whole world; as long as she wished it, he would do anything for her.

Drowsiness washed over Shen Ruoyu. Exhausted from the day’s events, she murmured a hazy “Mm…” in response before drifting off to sleep.

Perhaps due to having someone by her side, Shen Ruoyu slept soundly through the latter half of the night. She didn’t awaken until daylight streamed through the windows the next morning, and Shen Xinghuai was nowhere to be seen. The clamor from outside finally roused her.

As she sat up, a wave of soreness coursed through her body. A faint ache throbbed around her delicate, pale collarbone. Looking down, she noticed a reddish swelling, as if from some sort of bite. 

“What’s this? It’s already late autumn. How could there still be biting insects?”

Before she could ponder further, Xiao Chun, hearing the stirrings from within the room, hurried in. “Oh, Miss, you’re awake! Please sit down, and I’ll help you get ready. Master is waiting for you in the study.”

Xiao Chun guided Shen Ruoyu to the bronze mirror by the window and began selecting jewelry from the dressing case, piece by piece. Today, Rong Yan was coming to the residence with betrothal gifts to formally propose marriage. Miss and Master Rong were finally getting married! As Shen Ruoyu’s personal maid for many years, Xiao Chun was overjoyed for her.

“Miss, I said I heard magpies chirping today, and it seems good fortune truly is at hand! Allow me to offer my congratulations on having your wish fulfilled. I’m sure you and Master Rong will be a loving and devoted couple.” Xiao Chun beamed as she picked out a gold hairpin shaped like a mythical luan bird and carefully arranged Shen Ruoyu’s hair.

Upon hearing this, instead of expressing joy, Shen Ruoyu shot Xiao Chun a puzzled look. “Xiao Chun, what are you talking about?! Are you saying Rong Yan is coming to propose today? Why so soon?!”

What was going on? In the past, Rong Yan always proposed in the spring. Why was it so much earlier this time?

“Alright, Xiao Chun, there’s no need for elaborate adornments. This will do. I need to see my father.”

Shen Ruoyu casually selected a dress and headed straight for Master Shen’s study.

Marriage? How could she marry Rong Yan? That was a fantasy from her youth. After all, who wouldn't develop feelings for such a refined and handsome gentleman during their first stirrings of love? But ever since she discovered his deceit, his manipulation, and his preference for men, all her illusions had shattered.

The hypocrite, Rong Yan. Such a man didn't deserve her affections.

Shen Ruoyu lifted her skirts and broke into a light run, leaving Xiao Chun struggling to keep pace.

“M-Miss, wait for me…” Xiao Chun panted as she chased after her. Suddenly, Shen Ruoyu stopped in her tracks.

Standing on the path leading to the pavilion, a gentleman as warm and refined as jade had been waiting for some time. Rong Yan, impeccably dressed in his pristine white robes, displayed not a flicker of emotion, even upon seeing his future bride.

With his long, jade-like fingers resting at his sides, the young man bowed respectfully. “Miss Shen, it has been a while. I trust you are well?”

His gentle voice echoed in Shen Ruoyu’s ears. She took a few steps back, putting distance between them. “Perhaps I was doing quite well until I saw you.”

How ironic. They had known each other for years, and he could address Shen Xinghuai intimately as “Xiaohuai,” yet he called her the formal “Miss Shen.”

Rong Yan was taken aback by her words, then offered an awkward laugh. A flicker of embarrassment crossed his handsome face, perhaps realizing he had misjudged Shen Ruoyu as a meek and docile young lady.

“We have a marriage agreement, and I have long considered you the future mistress of the Rong household. I was presumptuous. If I startled you, I apologize, Miss Shen. Please forgive me.”


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments