Disgust? He'd said it again, the word echoing through every lifetime she'd lived, a curse she couldn't escape. If he disliked women, so be it, but why vent his spleen on her?

“Lu Zhixing, what a thing to say! Perhaps the disgusting one is you? I was sitting here minding my own business, then subjected to your unwanted touch. And you dare call me disgusting? I've never met someone so self-absorbed.”

“Miss Shen, watch your tongue! You are a subject, how dare you address the Prince by his name?” A personal attendant rushed forward, steadying Lu Zhixing and simultaneously reprimanding Shen Ruoyu.

“And what of how I speak? Should I build a temple for him, offering daily sacrifices to this great Buddha?”

Standing behind them, Jiang Peizhi began to doubt his ears. Was this the same Shen Ruoyu who was usually so meek and respectful in Lu Zhixing’s presence?

Lu Zhixing, already burning with rage, felt his disgust for this woman intensify with her every word. His back stiffened, his nails digging into his flesh unnoticed. The hand that had touched Shen Ruoyu felt as if it had been scalded, the encounter a torturous ordeal.

“Fine, Shen Ruoyu, you're truly remarkable. So bold after a few days' absence. I won't hold you accountable today, but I hope you live long enough to regret this. You'll suffer for it!”

Lu Zhixing swept a chilling glance over Shen Ruoyu before allowing his attendant to lead him away. He hadn't gone far when Shen Ruoyu heard him snarl, “Get off me! Bring me water, quickly! I need to bathe and change…”

The red candles in the room burned brightly. With Lu Zhixing’s departure, the auction neared its end. Jiang Peizhi ultimately won the bid for the courtesan who bore a striking resemblance to Shen Xinghuai, the final price reaching one thousand five hundred taels. 

He had no intention of taking the young man home, however. Instead, he handed the silver notes to the Tianxi Pavilion staff. “Forget it. My family has more than enough servants. I don't appreciate those instruments either. Just return his contract and let him go.”

The unnamed young man on stage offered Jiang Peizhi a grateful smile, then joyfully gathered his contract and left the Tianxi Pavilion, finally free from its confines.

“Jiang Peizhi, since when did you become a living Bodhisattva? Well, it's late, and my father has returned. I should go.” 

She’d been out too long; any later and her father might tear the house down. Shen Ruoyu found the auction utterly dull and vowed never to return to such a place again. It had been nothing but unpleasant.

Seeing her about to leave, Jiang Peizhi rushed forward, blocking her path. “Wait, Yuyu! What was that about? Why didn't you give Lu Zhixing any face?” Even he, who disliked the man, only dared to offer a few veiled insults.

Shen Ruoyu acted as if it were nothing. “Oh, that? The reason is simple, I don't want to put up with him anymore.” She didn’t know how long she would live in this life, so why should she force herself to constantly consider others?

Previously, for Rong Yan’s sake, Shen Ruoyu had tolerated Lu Zhixing. Now, with her feelings for Rong Yan dead, Lu Zhixing meant even less.

“Alright, alright. If I don't return soon, the house will be in an uproar. You should hurry back to the Jiang residence too.”

“Fine…” 

Jiang Peizhi reluctantly bid her farewell, lingering at the Tianxi Pavilion entrance to exchange a few more words before they finally parted ways.

Afterward, Shen Ruoyu slipped back into the Shen residence unnoticed. The lights were already extinguished. Fearing she might disturb Master Shen, she entered through the back courtyard.

With a sigh of relief, she made her way toward her room. Just as she was about to slip inside, a tall, dark figure blocked her path. Assuming it was Master Shen, she instinctively began to explain, “Ah… Father, listen… I…”

As she scrambled for an excuse, a timid voice spoke, “Sister?”

Realizing it was Shen Xinghuai, Shen Ruoyu relaxed. “Shen Xinghuai, why aren't you asleep? Go to bed!”

Exhausted, Shen Ruoyu intended to ignore him and head straight to her room. But as she took a step, her sleeve was suddenly tugged. In the darkness, she heard Shen Xinghuai’s low, husky voice. “Sister, where have you been? You smell… foul…”

Foul? Impossible. Shen Ruoyu wrinkled her nose, sniffing her clothes. She detected nothing but the pleasant scent of pine and cypress.

“Why do you care? I should be asking what you’re doing here.”

At her words, Shen Xinghuai released her sleeve. Though she couldn't see his expression, she sensed his displeasure.

“I’m still awake because my charcoal was withheld. I had no choice but to come to the back courtyard to find some. But Sister… that fragrance on you… it smells like something a man would wear.”

His words reminded her of the order she had given the servants to deny Shen Xinghuai charcoal.

“I’ll have Steward Liu send you some tomorrow. Go back to sleep now. My affairs are none of your concern.”


Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments