This lunch was absolute torture for Niu Shurui; the food tasted like sawdust in her mouth. Ever since Qiao Qi had fed her that first bite, he’d become addicted, utterly engrossed in the act.
Niu Shurui turned her head, dodging the food he offered, shaking her head. “No more, I’m full.”
Qiao Qi relentless, trailed the tines of his chopsticks along the soft skin of her chin, teasing her like a cat. “Just one last bite.”
The intimate gesture made her uncomfortable. Hesitantly, she opened her mouth and swallowed the so-called last bite.
Seeing her compliance, a warmth spread through Qiao Qi’s chest. He stroked her hair before finally withdrawing his hand, satisfied.
Niu Shurui's expression, however, worsened. It wasn’t his affectionate behavior, but the persistent flashing red light around her eyes, which had intensified. Her vision blurred, her hearing becoming acutely sensitive. A wave of unease washed over her.
Footsteps approached, hurried and rapid, stirring anxiety. Someone stopped before them.
Her wrist was suddenly tugged, pulling her uncontrollably to the left. She looked up sharply, and despite the red haze, recognized the newcomer instantly by their scent.
Before she could speak, Qiao Qi grabbed her right hand, pulling her back gently, just enough to prevent her from being taken away.
The newcomer spoke, their voice cold and laced with sarcasm. “Doctor Shu, there you are.” But beneath the surface, a tightly controlled anger simmered.
Qiao Qi, recognizing Ye Li, responded casually. “It’s my break time, Young Master Ye. If you have any business, you can inquire with the staff on duty. I'm sure they'd be happy to assist you.”
Ye Li glanced at him, scoffed, and emphasized, “I have a private matter with Doctor Shu.”
Meanwhile, the Doctor Shu in question was in utter misery. Blind, caught in their silent power struggle, her wrists ached with each tug. Qiao Qi was the first to notice. He addressed Ye Li, “Whatever it is, Young Master Ye, just say it. But please let go of her hand.”
“Why should I?” Ye Li’s face darkened. He couldn’t stand Qiao Qi’s possessive attitude towards Niu Shurui.
Niu Shurui, eyes closed, sighed. “Can you both let go, please?” She was exasperated by their bickering. “I’ll count to three… Three.”
“Niu—Doctor Shu, he can let go! I won't!” Ye Li exploded.
“If he doesn’t, neither do I,” Qiao Qi countered, a chilling smile playing on his lips.
“Two.”
“Didn’t you hear me?”
“I stand by what I said.”
“One. Let go.”
“.…”
“.…”
Despite their defiance, they released her simultaneously. Niu Shurui exhaled, rubbing her sore wrists. She leaned back in her chair, adopting an air of detachment, unwilling to be involved in their ongoing feud.
However, her hopes were dashed when Ye Li looked at her and said, “I need to talk to you.”
His hands, clenched and unclenched at his sides, betrayed the turmoil beneath his calm facade. The veins on the back of his hands bulged.
Niu Shurui, meeting his gaze, saw this and knew he was on the verge of another episode.
“What is it?” she asked.
“I need to speak with you privately.” Ye Li regretted agreeing to not call her Niuniu in public. His mind screamed her nickname, the desire he’d spent all morning suppressing now clawing its way to the surface. He ached for her.
The sudden surge of arovsal strained against his pants, leaving him restless and frustrated. He wanted to drag her to a secluded corner, to hold her and find release.
Niu Shurui hesitated. The unprecedented intensity of the red light suggested it was a combination of both their emotions. Soothing one would only enrage the other.
After a moment, she began, “I know—”
“Niuniu,” Qiao Qi interrupted, cupping her face and peering at her closely. “Your eyes… We’re going to the hospital later. I’ll have my father find you an ophthalmologist. We can’t keep putting this off.”
Niu Shurui blinked, bewildered by his sudden concern. She didn’t realize how strange she appeared. Though only inches away, her gaze remained unfocused, vacant. Her usual vibrancy had vanished, leaving her looking vulnerable and lost.
Ye Li, who’d been about to stop Qiao Qi, paused. He rushed forward, and upon seeing her eyes, panicked. “I told you not to come to work! I’ll have someone come and see you.”
He reached for his phone, ready to make the arrangements.
Niu Shurui waved him off and pushed Qiao Qi’s hands away. “No need. We already agreed to go on the weekend. It’s only a few days away. I have patients this afternoon; I can’t delay their treatments. As for my eyes, I know what’s going on.”
After all she’d experienced, how could she not understand? Even the world's leading experts likely wouldn't find anything wrong.
Silence hung in the air as both men considered whether to comply or insist. Their expressions, however, revealed their acquiescence. Niu Shurui was known for her decisiveness; pushing her would only backfire.