Yan Zhao walked over to the sofa, sat down, leaned back, and scooped up Chocolate, who was wagging its tail at him. He stroked the dog’s fur, unhurriedly. “What’s the big deal? I didn't tell you to go see him. One of you was a guest, the other an attendee. I’m curious how you two even managed to run into each other.”

The siblings shared similar features, especially their eyes. However, unlike Yan Zhen’s, Yan Zhao’s eyes had a sharper slant, giving him an air of cool detachment, even when he smiled.

Perfect for the superficial pleasantries of the business world.

Yan Zhen fell silent, slumping back onto the sofa.

Fate, she thought, was truly a mysterious thing.

After dinner, Yan Zhen prepared to take Chocolate for a walk. Yan Zhao, unusually free from work, decided to join her. They strolled along the paths of the gated community, a beautiful pair that drew admiring glances.

The hillside villas were located on the outskirts of the city, home to the wealthy and influential. However, its distance from the city center meant that few young people lived there. It was mostly favored by the older generation, who enjoyed the peace and quiet. As they walked, they passed several elderly residents walking their dogs. Chocolate, thrilled, bounded into the pack, playing exuberantly.

Yan Zhao’s phone rang. It was Lu Jingxuan.

“What’s up?” he asked, standing by a tree, a cool evening breeze carrying the first hint of spring.

Lu Jingxuan’s voice, as always, was lighthearted. “Free this weekend? The Xishan Lake Resort I invested in is having its soft opening. Come and check it out, consider it moral support.”

“The Lake Resort?” Yan Zhao chuckled. “I thought the project was stalled due to funding issues.”

“I’d already poured money into it; I couldn't let it go to waste.” Lu Jingxuan sighed. “I had to beg and plead, and finally, my uncle stepped in, but he also took control.”

He sighed again, sounding dejected. “I’m never doing this again. I’ve been so stressed, I’m practically going gray.”

“Huaixu warned you about the unreliable investors. You were stubborn; who can you blame?”

“Blame me, blame me. I thought, Xia deals with tech and biotech ventures, so he probably doesn’t know much about real estate either.” Lu Jingxuan sounded mournful. “A couple of drinks in, and I stopped trusting even my best friend. I really messed up this time.”

Yan Zhao considered for a moment. “I should be free this weekend.”

“Great! I’ll invite a few more people. We can drive there ourselves; the mountain scenery along the way is beautiful.”

Having conveyed the necessary information, Lu Jingxuan hesitated before continuing, “Um…”

“What?”

“About Huaixu… could you maybe give him a call?”

Yan Zhao idly twirled a leaf between his fingers. “He doesn’t want to go?”

“Not exactly.” Lu Jingxuan sighed. “I’m just worried. I didn’t listen to his advice, so I’m afraid he’ll overthink things.”

Yan Zhao laughed. “You think everyone’s as sentimental as you? It’s not his money that’s lost. He should be grateful you’re not blaming him for not trying harder to dissuade you.”

Lu Jingxuan continued to moan.

“Tell you what,” Yan Zhao said, looking at Yan Zhen, who was squatting nearby, a thoughtful smile playing on his lips. “I’ll bring Chen Huaixu’s nemesis along.”

“Chen Huaixu’s nemesis?” Lu Jingxuan was momentarily confused, then realized what he meant. “Your precious little sister?”

“Mr. Lu wouldn’t mind arranging an extra room, would he?”

“Absolutely not!” Lu Jingxuan sounded delighted. “I’d welcome your sister with open arms. I’d stick you and Chen Huaixu on the wall if I had to, just to make sure your sister has a place to stay.”

Chocolate, having found some canine companions, was going wild, pulling at the leash despite Yan Zhen’s efforts to restrain it. It jumped and danced around her, the leash tangling around her legs. Yan Zhen squatted down to untangle it, calling out to her brother, “Brother, help me!”

Yan Zhao walked over, untangled the leash, and held Chocolate firmly. He was strong, and Chocolate could only whine pathetically, gazing longingly at its receding playmates.

He held up his phone, still connected to the call, and gestured to Yan Zhen. “Free this weekend?”

“Hmm? I think so.”

“Your Lu ge’s Lake Resort at Xishan is having its soft opening. He invited me to visit. Want to come along?”

Yan Zhen looked puzzled. “I thought there were funding problems?”

Lu Jingxuan swore on the other end of the line. “How did everyone find out about that?! I've lost all dignity!”

Yan Zhao laughed. “Anyway, he’s sorted it out. We’re driving there this weekend, staying overnight. Are you in?”

Yan Zhen’s eyes lit up. “Yes! I’ve been waiting for my advisor to free up some time, worried he’ll call me in to revise my thesis. I haven’t dared to travel anywhere. I’m bored to death.”

Yan Zhao suddenly sighed. “On second thought, maybe not.”

Yan Zhen frowned. “Why not?”

“I just remembered, Chen Huaixu will be there too.” Yan Zhao feigned regret. “Since you don’t want to see him, let’s forget it. I’ll take you another time.”

Lu Jingxuan, though not the sharpest tool in the shed, caught on to Yan Zhao’s scheme. “Hey, Yan Zhao, you…”

No wonder he and Chen Huaixu were such good friends. Despite their different personalities, they were equally cunning.

“So what if he’s going? Does that mean I can’t go? If he’s breathing on this planet, does that mean I can’t breathe either?” Yan Zhen took the bait, as expected. She huffed. “I’m going to have fun; I won’t pay any attention to him. If he doesn’t like it, he can stay home.”

Yan Zhao smiled, speaking into the phone, “Did you hear that, Mr. Lu? Her Ladyship is coming. You better treat her well.”

Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments