Feng Yi dressed, standing stiffly by the bed like a scolded wife. She had meant to tell him to leave, but the sight of him like this stopped her. Even through the haze of last night's intoxication, she remembered the exhilarating, new experience he'd given her.
She and Zhou Zhe had tried before, but she’d always been too tense, worrying about smudged makeup, unflattering angles, and the smoothness of her skin. In the end, she hadn't enjoyed herself, and Zhou Zhe had been frustrated by her inability to let go.
Blushing, she addressed Feng Yi delicately, "I have something to do this morning, so—" She drew out the last word.
"Oh, oh," Feng Yi nodded quickly. He continued to stand there.
Taking a breath, she tried again, "You can freshen up in the bathroom. There are new toiletries in the cabinet under the sink."
He nodded again and, seeing she had nothing more to say, went into the bathroom.
Qiao Li let out a relieved sigh, stripping the soiled sheets and finding her clothes for the day. By the time Feng Yi emerged, his face still damp and looking incredibly refreshed, she was ready.
"Finished?"
"Mm."
"I'll go wash up now. I won't be leaving with you." Surely, he'd get the hint this time.
Feng Yi obediently agreed, then, as if remembering something important, pulled out his phone. "You haven't given me your contact information."
The smile froze on Qiao Li's face. "I'm sorry, I'm not looking to start anything right now."
Feng Yi flushed crimson. That wasn't what he meant! He wasn't expecting anything serious so soon. He just wanted a way to stay in touch. "I didn't mean a relationship," he stammered, then, worried he sounded like he was proposing a casual fling, added, "Just… as friends," his eyes darting around. Boyfriends are friends too, hehehe.
Qiao Li, having navigated the complexities of adult life for several years, understood his intentions. Despite everything, her impression of Feng Yi wasn't bad. Hoping to move on from her ex, she relented.
After exchanging WeChat details, she casually asked, "What do you do?"
"Ah." Feng Yi's stomach dropped. He had a bad feeling. "I'm… a student."
"A student?" Qiao Li studied him. He certainly had a youthful, energetic air about him. She'd assumed he simply looked young, not that he actually was. She chuckled. "How old are you?"
Feng Yi's mind raced. "Well, um… maybe… uh… I'm, just…"
Qiao Li watched him, her expression growing serious. His evasiveness, coupled with his inexperience last night…
Her voice cooled. "Why? Is your age a secret?"
Feng Yi panicked at her tone. "N-no!"
Seeing her about to get angry, he blurted out, "I'm… I'm eighteen."
Qiao Li was stunned.
It took several seconds for her to recover. His anxious, guilty expression suggested something wasn't right. Her voice trembled as she asked, "Are you sure you're an adult?"
Feng Yi nodded vigorously. "Of course." Although his birthday had only recently passed.
Qiao Li breathed a sigh of relief. Thank goodness she hadn't slept with a minor. She sat down on the bed, looking like she didn't want to speak. "You can go now."
Feng Yi panicked. No, no, no! She was just starting to warm up!
He inched toward her at a glacial pace, finally reaching the edge of the bed. "Can we… stay in touch?" His voice was as innocent as he could make it.
Qiao Li wanted to die. Eighteen? Was he joking?
She forced a smile. "I don't think so."
Feng Yi, a mixture of embarrassment and hurt, mumbled, "Last night was my first time."
The situation took a bizarre turn. Qiao Li hadn't lost control of her composure this badly in years. She stared at Feng Yi in disbelief.
His face was burning red, his long, thick lashes lowered, making him look utterly innocent and wronged. If he were a different gender, he'd be the picture of a naive country girl who'd been taken advantage of.
He whimpered, "Are you going to abandon me after taking my v1rginity?"
Qiao Li choked.