When Yan Zhen returned to the volunteer lounge, a group of people were chatting animatedly. Seeing her approach, they nudged each other, exchanging glances, but hesitated to approach.

Finally, an outgoing-looking girl came over and asked, “Hello, are you Yan Zhen?”

Yan Zhen, about to take a sip of water, looked up, her beautiful eyes tinged with a hazy confusion. “And you are?”

“We’re all from Ningchuan University. You’re quite famous on campus, Senior Yan Zhen.” The girl smiled. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Yan Zhen had become a campus sensation right after enrollment, thanks to a candid photo that went viral. For a while, pictures of her popped up constantly on the school forum, with people asking who she was. Later, someone discovered her identity as the heiress of the Yan Corporation, further amplifying the attention. Even a simple trip to the cafeteria meant being subtly scrutinized. It wasn't surprising these younger students recognized her.

Subtly shielding her volunteer name tag, she gave a slight nod. “Hello.”

Worried that extended conversation might reveal she was merely filling in for Jiang Yi, Yan Zhen kept her responses brief. The girl, mistaking her reticence for aloofness, chatted briefly before returning to her group. The lively chatter resumed.

Yan Zhen sat down and messaged Jiang Yi, asking if she was feeling better.

Jiang Yi didn’t reply.

She was considering calling when a familiar name drifted to her ears.

“…Chen Huaixu is even more handsome in person than in photos. I escorted him in today, and when he left, he actually said ‘Thank you for your hard work’ to me. I was smitten! I’ve assisted plenty of CEOs before, and many of them completely ignore us, let alone small-time volunteers like us.”

…Show off. Playing to the crowd.

“A senior of mine works at Hexia and told us Chen Huaixu has impeccable character and manners. He greets everyone at the company, regardless of their position. He might be aloof, but he’s undeniably polite.”

Good character? Good manners? Had she heard correctly?

“Working at Hexia must be amazing. Such a handsome boss, a promising company, and high salaries. I’m hoping to apply there during next year’s fall recruitment. I wonder if I’ll have a chance.”

“It’s not that easy. Hexia gets more competitive every year, and Chen Huaixu has incredibly high standards. My senior said those without serious dedication shouldn’t even bother.”

“That’s understandable… considering he achieved this level of success in just a few years. And I heard he’s still single.”

“He’s probably too busy with work to even think about relationships.”

“Or maybe his standards are too high; he hasn’t found the right person.”

Unable to listen any longer, Yan Zhen joined the conversation. “Has it ever occurred to you that the reason he’s single is—”

All eyes turned to her.

“—because he’s actually quite unpleasant?”

Jiang Yi, looking miserable, appeared as the forum ended.

Spotting Yan Zhen, she rushed over, profusely apologizing. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t expect this to happen. I shouldn’t have gone out for barbecue with them last night. I’ve caused you so much trouble today.”

Looking at Jiang Yi’s pale face, Yan Zhen asked, “Are you feeling better?”

Jiang Yi’s eyebrows drooped. “Much better.”

Yan Zhen nodded, took off her volunteer vest, and returned the ID badge. “Go home and get some rest.”

Jiang Yi hesitated, then tentatively asked, “Aren’t you coming with us? There’s a shuttle bus for volunteers back to campus. No one will notice if you blend in with the crowd.”

“I’ll take a taxi. I’m going home tonight, not back to school.”

Just then, a message notification chimed. Yan Zhen glanced at her phone. It was a WeChat message from Chen Huaixu, concise and to the point: [Third gate, down the elevator, parking lot.]

Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments