Besides Yan Zhao cutting off her allowance, forcing her to work for a living, there didn't seem to be any other plausible explanation.
His tone implied that the sun had risen in the west, which greatly displeased Yan Zhen. “Can’t I volunteer out of the goodness of my heart?”
“Sure, you can.”
Yan Zhen could tell from his reply that he wasn't sincere. “So what if my allowance was cut off? Are you going to offer me financial assistance?”
“Not entirely out of the question,” Chen Huaixu replied slowly. “After all, I’m inherently kind. Providing Miss Yan with some paid assistance is only right.”
“Paid assistance…” Yan Zhen loathed his mercenary mindset. “Don’t worry, I’d rather die than accept your charity.”
“Really?” His tone remained even as his gaze shifted to the side. “You spilled the water.”
Yan Zhen realized that, preoccupied with arguing with Chen Huaixu, she hadn't noticed the cup overflowing and had continued pouring. The spilled tea had created a mess on the table. She hurriedly grabbed napkins to wipe it up, her hands fumbling as she heard a sharp reprimand from behind, “Can’t you even pour water properly?”
The sound of high heels approached like a death knell. Tina frowned. “You shouldn’t be here. Call Xiao Lu over.”
Xiao Lu was the person in charge inside, the young man with glasses.
Turning to Chen Huaixu, she offered an apologetic smile. “Mr. Chen, I’m so sorry. This volunteer is a bit clumsy and wet your materials. I’ll get you a new copy right away.”
Yan Zhen, who hadn't wanted to do this anyway, tossed the damp napkins into the trash can and turned to leave.
“Wait a moment,” Chen Huaixu said from behind.
She stopped.
“It’s not a big deal. No need to be so harsh,” he said calmly. “The volunteers are all students. It’s their first time experiencing this kind of setting. Being nervous is inevitable.”
Tina understood he was speaking up for the volunteer. She immediately turned to Yan Zhen, her gaze forceful. “I’ll give you another chance. Quickly fetch a new set of materials, and don’t make any more mistakes this time.”
Yan Zhen brought a new set of documents. Tina had already walked away. She tossed the documents into Chen Huaixu’s lap and snorted. “How hypocritical. Don’t expect me to thank you.”
“No need,” Chen Huaixu said, resuming his reading, his tone casual. “I just saved others from your clumsiness.”
For a moment, Yan Zhen really wanted to pour the water down the back of his shirt.
She knew she shouldn't have expected anything more from him!
Someone happened to be passing by behind her, preventing her from lashing out. Instead, she forced a smile and threatened through gritted teeth, “Oh really? Then be prepared to be plagued by my clumsiness. I won’t let you off the hook.”
She deliberately emphasized her words. A faint blush rose on her fair cheeks. She was clearly angry, but her bright eyes were too lively, making it seem more like a playful scolding.
He looked up at her, a hint of an imperceptible smile playing on his lips. “I await with bated breath.”