Again, the tone was one of mild inquiry, as if he'd done something unforgivable. He brought her hand to his nose, inhaling deeply, his expression like someone indulging in a drug. "Because I want to. I've wanted to do this so badly I'm going crazy. Obsessive-compulsive disorder, when left unsatisfied, leads to anxiety, irritability, panic… Doctor Shu, you should know this better than I do."
"But you always guided me to control it… control… I've controlled it until I'm about to explode. But today is different. You told me that unmet desires lead to pain, and fulfilled desires lead to boredom, which allows for better control."
His soft lips brushed against her fingertips. It was the first time Niu Shurui had seen such an expression on Ye Li's face. In a normal therapy session, she would have been delighted. It would have meant progress.
But in this situation, she felt no joy.
The usually stiff features now held a look of obsession. His eyes still held a certain darkness, but unlike the previous emptiness, now he looked like he wanted to drag her down to hell with him.
What surprised Niu Shurui most was that she herself had instigated this.
A look of slight satisfaction crossed Ye Li's face. He then took her finger into his mouth, looking up at her. "But I'm satisfied, and I don't feel bored. I want more. What should I do, Doctor Shu? Tell me."
His tongue felt rough against her finger, each movement sending a shiver through her. It was incredibly agile, first swirling around her finger like a child licking an ice cream cone, then somehow finding its way between her fingers, scraping lightly, creating a strange sensation. She tried to pull her hand away, but the drug held her captive, leaving her at his mercy.
Sensing her discomfort, Ye Li softened his touch, licking gently. He needed to appease her to continue; otherwise, next time, it would be even more difficult. How long would it take him to achieve his ultimate goal if he pushed too hard?
Niu Shurui said, "But you forgot, I told you before, fulfilling desires has a prerequisite—it has to be a normal, ordinary act."
Ye Li laughed. "Are you saying this isn't normal, Doctor Shu? But you also told me that human desires are countless, and any kind of desire is normal."
"Yes, I said that." Niu Shurui nodded, refusing to be trapped. "You remember it clearly, even the word 'appearance.' Then you should also understand that I meant the appearance of desire is normal, but the desire itself isn't necessarily normal."
Unfazed by being caught out, Ye Li released her finger, carefully wiping away any trace of moisture. He then interlaced their fingers. "Then, Doctor Shu, I'm your patient. You have a responsibility to cure me."
Niu Shurui closed her eyes. She knew the Ye family had paid her a hefty sum to cure Ye Li. She just hadn't realized how difficult it would be to earn it. "Of course I will." Then she asked, "When will the drug wear off? I'm very uncomfortable."
Aside from her active mind, eyes, and mouth, and the ability to breathe, she was practically a puppet.
"Soon," Ye Li said vaguely. He grew tired of the same position. His other hand began to explore, moving up her leg.
Seeing its upward trajectory, Niu Shurui opened her eyes, about to protest, when she heard Ye Li say, "Niuniu… I heard him call you that."
A wave of shame washed over her. Such an intimate nickname, even with Qiao Qi, she couldn't handle it in public. And she and Ye Li were merely doctor and patient.
"That's my nickname," Niu Shurui said, "but please call me Doctor Shu."
The hand on her leg paused. Ye Li looked up. "Why?"
Niu Shurui didn't answer. Not because she didn't want to, but because the sudden reappearance of the red light caught her off guard. All thoughts of argument vanished, replaced by the immediate problem at hand.
Seeing her frown, her expression of displeasure and agitation, Ye Li unconsciously tightened his grip on her ankle. After a few seconds, when she still hadn't responded, irritation surged within him.
This feeling was familiar. It had surfaced when he saw Niu Shurui talking intimately with Qiao Qi.
Back then, he'd had only one thought: to take her away. Now, it was the same. She was right in front of him, yet she felt miles away.
Untouchable, unreachable… just like…
The red light pulsed faster and faster. Through the flashes, Niu Shurui finally saw Ye Li's face, contorted with rage. Something flickered in her memory.
Before she could speak, Ye Li grabbed her ankle, bending her left leg. His hand moved upwards. Niu Shurui gasped, "Don't!"