Tao Yu blinked, turning her head to glance behind her. "Mr. Yue, don't scare me. There's no one there."

Yue Linze watched her impassively, completely unmoved by her attempt at humor.

Tao Yu coughed, forcing a professional smile back onto her face. "Would you believe me, Mr. Yue, if I said I did all of this of my own accord?"

Yue Linze stared at her intently. Tao Yu met his gaze, their eyes locked for a long moment. Then, Yue Linze pressed a speed dial button on his phone. 

"Send security to..." he began, his voice cold.

Before he could finish, his vision blurred. In the next instant, Tao Yu was half-kneeling, one hand gripping the armrest of his wheelchair, the other pressing the red button on his phone, ending the call.

Yue Linze's eyes narrowed.

"Mr. Yue," Tao Yu said, a faint smile playing on her lips, "I can explain everything."

Because of her position, she had to tilt her head back to meet his gaze, her chin raised, exposing the delicate curve of her neck. She wore a white lab coat over a blouse. In her haste to change earlier, she hadn't buttoned the top button, a detail easily overlooked when standing face to face, but quite noticeable from his vantage point.

"Get out," Yue Linze said, his thin lips barely moving.

Tao Yu quickly stood and retreated three steps. To prevent him from summoning security again, she unplugged the phone as she rose.

"Thirty seconds," Yue Linze said, glancing at his watch.

Tao Yu froze. "Thirty seconds? I can barely say a few words in that time, let alone explain everything."

"Seventeen seconds."

The corner of Tao Yu's mouth twitched. "Well then," she sighed, "I suppose I have no choice but to tell the truth."

"Nine... eight... seven..."

"It's because I like you!" Tao Yu blurted out, raising her voice to ensure he heard her over his countdown.

At that very moment, the housekeeper burst through the door with security guards in tow. Her confession echoed clearly in the room, leaving the housekeeper stunned and speechless. An awkward silence hung in the air until the housekeeper finally spoke. 

"Sir, I couldn't get through on the rehab room phone. I was worried, so I took the liberty of interrupting. I apologize."

He looked at Yue Linze, awaiting further instructions, while inwardly lamenting Tao Yu’s apparent lack of judgment. The housekeeper knew how much his employer loathed forward women. He was certain Tao Yu would be thrown out of the house.

Tao Yu's heart pounded in her chest. This was the only explanation she could think of that might appease Yue Linze. She knew he'd been suspicious of her ever since she'd accepted the lower salary. 

His subsequent actions had only confirmed her suspicions. She'd been in a difficult position. Following his unreasonable demands would only deepen his distrust, but refusing them outright would likely result in her immediate dismissal. 

She’d had no choice but to play along, hoping to devise a convincing lie. Liking him seemed like the safest bet, the hardest to disprove. 

But seeing the housekeeper’s expression, she regretted her impulsive confession. She’d been so focused on the plausibility of her lie that she’d forgotten Yue Linze’s personality. He would never tolerate a woman who harbored romantic feelings for him.

She sighed inwardly, resigned to the imminent failure of her mission.

Silence descended upon the rehab room as everyone waited for Yue Linze's reaction.

Finally, under the weight of their expectant gazes, he spoke. "The steak was good tonight."

Everyone was taken aback. After a moment, Tao Yu let out a silent breath of relief, a small smile curving her lips. The housekeeper stepped forward, beaming. "If you enjoyed it, sir, perhaps we should have it again for lunch tomorrow?"

Yue Linze gave a noncommittal grunt. The housekeeper immediately signaled to the security guards, who quickly cleared the room. With a slight bow, he said, "Then I won't disturb your rehabilitation any further, sir." He glanced meaningfully at Tao Yu before leaving.

When the door closed, silence returned. Yue Linze tapped his fingers rhythmically against the armrest of his wheelchair, seemingly unconcerned by the recent interruption.

Tao Yu knew it wasn't over yet. Seizing the opportunity while he was still receptive, she quickly explained, "Mr. Yue, you may not know me, but I've admired you for a long time. I was so thrilled to be assigned as your physical therapist. I just wanted to meet your expectations, even though I knew some of your requests were... unconventional."

She paused, seeing no reaction from him. "Perhaps I overstepped my boundaries and aroused your suspicion. Please rest assured, I'm not affiliated with any organization. If you still doubt me, I'm willing to submit to any investigation. I only ask that you allow me to stay and continue caring for you. Please?"

Her voice, unlike its usual professional tone, was soft, almost pleading, and utterly sincere. Yue Linze studied her calmly, the image of her rolling on the bed flashing through his mind.

"Mr. Yue?" Tao Yu prompted, her anxiety rising again.

A cynical smile curved his lips, his eyes seeming to pierce her soul. "Do you think I'd believe that?"

"It's simply a confession from a woman who's had a long-standing crush. If you don't believe me, there's nothing I can do. But I assure you, I won't let my personal feelings interfere with my work. I'll help you recover as quickly as possible," Tao Yu said with a smile, feigning composure.

Inside, she was far from calm. To hide her nervousness, she shoved her hands into the pockets of her lab coat, then quickly pulled them out, realizing the gesture was unprofessional. A small, round object fell from her pocket.

The thick carpet muffled the sound, so Tao Yu didn't notice. Yue Linze, however, saw it clearly. A round hard candy, the same one she'd dropped in his room.

He watched her for a long moment before finally speaking. "Rehabilitation."

Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments