Tao Yu feigned a look of surprise, then said with a touch of fluster, “I’m… I’m so sorry. I misspoke. Please don’t mind me, Ms. Zhou.”

Zhou Yanran visibly relaxed, thinking to herself that Tao Yu was indeed small-minded, easily frightened after a slight provocation. She said coldly, “Just remember that. And don’t gossip in the future.”

Tao Yu, observing the displeased expressions on Yue Linying and Gu Yansheng’s faces, smiled to herself, satisfied. Ms. Zhou seemed clever, but she clearly lacked intelligence. She didn’t even understand the power of silence. Her frantic denial only deepened everyone’s suspicions.

The image of a sister-in-law seeking solace from her younger brother-in-law was certainly… interesting.

Thanks to Tao Yu’s interruption, everyone seemed to have forgotten about questioning her background. Not that she cared to explain herself to them. She said frankly, “I’m a rehabilitation therapist. As for my family background… my father passed away long ago, and my mother recently died from kidney disease. I owe the hospital a large sum of money, so I’m perhaps a little worse off than the proletariat.”

When she had connected to Yue Linze’s brainwaves, she had anticipated being questioned about her background. So she had used her real-world experiences from the start. This would minimize any inconsistencies and allow her to better integrate into this world.

Those present were taken aback by her humble origins. Some looked at her with pity, others with mockery, and still others with open disapproval.

Only Yue Linze regarded her calmly, his expression unreadable. He seemed indifferent to who she was or what she had experienced.

Tao Yu rather liked his attitude.

Gu Yansheng gave her an impassive look, then sat down on the sofa and addressed Yue Linying. “Linze and I have some matters to discuss. Take Yanran and go rest for now.” He gave Yue Linying a pointed look.

Yue Linying hesitated, then nodded silently. “Yanran, let’s go rest.” He needed to find out why his fiancée had sought out his younger brother.

Zhou Yanran finally realized something was amiss. But by the time she wanted to speak, no one cared anymore. She cast a tearful glance at Tao Yu and hurried after Yue Linying.

‘Why did it seem like I was the one bullying her?’ Tao Yu thought, bewildered. Zhou Yanran had clearly started it.

Gu Yansheng looked at Tao Yu and frowned. “Ms. Tao, you should go and rest as well.”

Yanran, Ms. Tao. The difference in address was clear. Thankfully, she wasn't Yue Linze's real girlfriend and wouldn't be hurt by such blatant favoritism.

After the long car ride, Tao Yu was tired. She was about to agree when she heard Yue Linze say, “She’s not tired.”

Tao Yu’s yawn died in her throat, tears pricking her eyes. Under Yue Linze’s impassive gaze, she forced a smile. “Yes, Mr. Gu, I’m not tired.”

Gu Yansheng’s anger flared, but thinking of the matter at hand, he suppressed it. “I called you back not only for my birthday banquet, but also for the issues within the group. Your health isn’t good, and I’m getting old. I intend to hand over some responsibilities to Linying. Since you’re reluctant to leave the house, give me the company seal. It will save Linying the trouble of running back and forth.”

My, my, Mr. Gu was certainly direct. He was openly demanding a transfer of power. Observing Yue Linze’s darkening expression, Tao Yu thought that his resentment would likely fester as long as Gu Yansheng and Yue Linying were alive. She couldn’t exactly eliminate them, so she would have to find another way.

“The company seal is only valid in the hands of a Yue family member. Who is he?” Yue Linze asked calmly.

Gu Yansheng’s veins bulged. He gritted out, “He’s your brother.”

“My mother only had one son,” Yue Linze said, a flicker of mockery in his eyes. “And the Yue family only has one heir.”

“You!” Gu Yansheng clutched his chest in anger. “Fine. If you’re unwilling, then forget it. But there’s one more thing. Your brother’s mother has been buried in a public cemetery for far too long. I plan to move her remains to the ancestral grounds soon. The ancestral grounds belong to the Gu family, not the Yue family. I have the authority to make that decision, don’t I?”

It didn’t belong to the Yue family, yet the whole world knew that Yue Linze’s mother was buried there. Tao Yu was stunned by his audacity. Gu Yansheng hadn’t moved Yue Linying’s mother to the ancestral grounds all these years, yet he brought it up now, while demanding the company seal. His intentions were crystal clear.

Tao Yu looked thoughtfully at Yue Linze and saw his fingers gripping the armrest of his wheelchair, the knuckles white with strain. She pursed her lips and gently placed her hand over his.

Yue Linze’s hand twitched, then relaxed. He said calmly, “The matter of the company seal… we’ll discuss it later.”

That meant there was room for negotiation. Gu Yansheng relaxed slightly and stood up. “We’ll talk about it another time. It’s late. Go and rest.” He turned and left, seemingly without a shred of paternal affection for Yue Linze beyond business interests.

Silence hung in the living room for a moment. Tao Yu turned Yue Linze’s hand over, looking at the marks the armrest had left on his fingers. She sighed. “Are you really going to give him the company seal?”

“What do you think?” Yue Linze countered, taking out his phone and sending a text message.

Of course not. This man wasn’t one to be pushed around. He wouldn’t give in so easily. She smiled. “Since you’re not going to give it to him, don’t let it upset you.”

Yue Linze looked at her calmly. “Am I upset?”

“…No,” Tao Yu said sincerely. The person who had nearly broken his fingers on the wheelchair armrest was definitely someone else.

Yue Linze gave her a cool glance. “Let’s go.”

“Where to?” Tao Yu asked instinctively.

“Back to the room.”

“…?”

A minute later, Tao Yu stood in the understated yet luxurious room, looking at Yue Linze with a complicated expression. “Do I really have to share a room with you?”

“Just as you wished, isn’t it?”

“.…” 

It fit the persona she was supposed to be playing, but something felt… off.

Want to read the advanced chapters, or even directly until the end? Click here for more info.
Comments

Comments

Show Comments