Zhou Yanran's face paled. She didn't understand why things weren't going as she'd imagined. He was so miserable now, shouldn't he be grateful that she still loved him?
She sighed softly and said pityingly, "Linze, I know you don't really mean that, so I won't be angry. You've been alone in this house for so long, I'm sure you want someone to keep you company. From now on, when I have free time…"
"That won't be necessary, Miss Zhou. I'm here for Linze. He doesn't need anyone else's company," Tao Yu said, stepping forward with a smile. She'd cursed this brainless woman a thousand times in her head. She hadn't intended to step in, but if this woman continued, Yue Linze's resentment would only deepen.
Zhou Yanran hadn't expected another woman to be in the house. She stared wide-eyed at Tao Yu, desperately wanting to tell herself that this was a maid. Unfortunately, Tao Yu's clothes told a different story.
"Linze, I've been waiting for you for ages," Tao Yu said, walking over with a bright smile and sitting beside Yue Linze. Her small, pale hand casually slipped around his arm.
Yue Linze glanced sideways at her and was about to speak when Tao Yu leaned closer to his ear and whispered, just loud enough for the two of them to hear, "If you lose your temper now, you'll lose."
She spoke in a tone one might use with a child. A flicker of mockery crossed Yue Linze's eyes. Despite her stupidity, this woman had sensed he was on the verge of anger, proving herself far more perceptive than this Zhou Yanran.
"You… you two…" Zhou Yanran looked at them in disbelief.
Tao Yu smiled. "Miss Zhou, you seem to be under a misapprehension. Firstly, Linze really isn't interested in you. Secondly, the reason he doesn't go out much these days is because I like staying home, and he's simply keeping me company."
"Impossible! That's impossible!" Zhou Yanran looked pleadingly at Yue Linze.
Yue Linze had long since lost patience with this woman. Seeing her pathetic expression, he felt even more disgusted. "Get out. Don't make me repeat myself."
"Impossible! Absolutely impossible! How could you have a girlfriend?" Zhou Yanran suddenly became agitated.
Tao Yu looked at her with pity. "Miss Zhou, I understand how you feel, but please behave yourself. Linze is such an outstanding man, how could he not have a girlfriend?" With that, she placed her small hand on the back of Yue Linze's.
When her warm palm met his cold hand, Yue Linze raised an eyebrow, but didn't reject her touch.
Seeing this, Zhou Yanran felt as if the sky had fallen. Her supposed sympathy and pity now felt like slaps to her face, making it difficult to even breathe.
"I… I have something to do. I'll be going now…" Her mind in turmoil, she left in a daze.
As soon as she was gone, Tao Yu immediately released Yue Linze's hand and stood up, smiling. "I apologize, Mr. Yue. I took the liberty."
Yue Linze glanced casually at his suddenly empty hand. "How did you know what we were talking about? Eavesdropping?"
"I just happened to be passing by," Tao Yu said, her smile unwavering.
Yue Linze gave her a sideways glance and said nothing, clearly unconvinced by her excuse.
Pretending not to notice his expression, Tao Yu continued to maintain her gentle and sensible persona. "But this Miss Zhou is strange. Why would she come and say those things to you? You don't seem to know her at all."
"She's not the first woman to come looking for me." A flicker of disdain crossed Yue Linze's eyes. He knew what these women were thinking. Unfortunately, while his legs were injured, his eyes were not, and he would never look favorably upon them.
Tao Yu understood. Yue Linze was exceptionally handsome. Even if he were in a wheelchair, even a vegetative state, countless women would still vie for his attention. Moreover, she'd seen his report yesterday. His right leg was only slightly impaired, not to the point where he needed a wheelchair. It was simply his pride; he hated the thought of being seen limping.
She thought for a moment and offered comfort. "Don't worry, Mr. Yue. Now that Miss Zhou has left, news of your girlfriend will spread quickly. Then no more women will come to bother you."
Yue Linze scoffed and looked at her haughtily. "Help me up."
"Of course." Tao Yu nodded, positioned the wheelchair next to the sofa, and dutifully reached out to help him.
Unfortunately, Tao Yu forgot the difference in strength between a psychologist and a rehabilitation therapist. As Yue Linze leaned his weight on her, she fell to her knees with a thud, and he tumbled back onto the sofa.
The air hung thick with awkward silence.
"...Sorry," Tao Yu said, straightening up. Even someone as adept at pretending as she was couldn't stop the slight flush creeping up her ears. To distract herself, she calmly pulled a piece of milk candy from her sweater pocket. "Mr. Yue, would you like one?"
Yue Linze stared impassively at the woman practically sprawled across his lap. "That's the second time," he said coldly.
"...There won't be a third!" Tao Yu blurted out.